August 11th 2002
Over a year after completing Phase
1 of the tower project - I am now ready to stick a HF beam up
in the air.
Thanks to Mike VE3PBE for the
donation of the TH-5 beam to the VA3GY antenna farm. The beam
is in excellent condition, having been well looked after by
When I put the existing
antennas up I left a nice space just above the thrust bearing
where an HF beam could fit nicely.
Paul VE3EU working on the
The first job was to lay out
the boom and all of the elements. Then we got everything
bolted together, attached the feed line and water proofed all
of the joints. Then at the top of the tower I attached the
mounting bracket and drilled the mast pipe to hold the
securing bolt. (This bolt will prevent any twisting of the
antenna on the mast in high winds)
Everything is ready to go for
tomorrow morning, Paul VE3EU will come around and we will
hoist it up the tower. We will get at it nice and early
before the wind gets up.
The TH-5 gets hauled
up the tower
The morning went right on
plan. We started at about 7:30 and using Paul's nice new
pickup we towed the antenna up the North side of the tower.
We had a 300ft rope attached from the antenna, up to the
pulley at the top of the tower, run down via a block at the
bottom, then attached to the truck. I followed it up the
second half of the way, and when resting on the top plate Paul
came up and we lifted it straight onto the bracket.
We had the whole works up, coax
installed on the tower and connected into the shack by
thing of beauty !!!
The first contact made was with
my friend Les GM4XKG over in Inverness Scotland. I called him
on the landline and we had a 51/3 QSO on 20 meters.